If you are considering abortion, the Hagerstown Area Pregnancy Clinic offers free and confidential medical services to equip you to make the best choice for your situation. Make an appointment for a free pregnancy test before you decide. If you test positive, we can also schedule a free ultrasound that will provide important information you will need to know before your abortion.
An Ultrasound Will Answer the Following Questions…
- Is the pregnancy viable? A non-viable pregnancy will end in natural miscarriage. Statistics show that 25-31% of pregnancies end in early miscarriage.
- How far along are you? This determines the types of abortion procedures that are available.
Is the pregnancy in your uterus? Occasionally, the embryo implants somewhere else.
- This is known as an “ectopic pregnancy.” An abortion won’t resolve this obstetric complication.
Different Types of Abortion
Different abortion methods are used at different stages in pregnancy. During your appointment at the Hagerstown Area Pregnancy Clinic, our staff will provide you with medically-accurate information on each type of abortion available to you; make sure you understand what will happen to you during the abortion and present abortion risk-factors so that you can make an informed decision.
Medical or non-surgical abortion uses RU486 or other type of abortion pill to terminate your pregnancy. This method of abortion is used for women who are within 30 – 49 days of their last menstrual period and involves 3 different office visits.
If you’re not a candidate for a medical abortion or if the medical abortion doesn’t work, you may obtain a surgical abortion. Below are listed the most common types of surgical abortion performed in the first trimester.
- Manual Vacuum Aspiration (MVA): an abortion performed 3 -12 weeks since the last period. It is considered less invasive with only a local anesthesia.
- Dilation & Curettage (D & C): a surgical abortion procedure used up to 16 weeks gestation. It is also referred to as suction curettage or vacuum aspiration.
- Dilation & Evacuation (D & E): a surgical abortion procedure used after 16 weeks gestation.
All women considering abortion should be tested for STDs to ensure that there are no possible complications. Learn More