What’s the Big Deal about STD’s?
SEXUALLY TRANSMITTED DISEASES
- Abnormal Discharge/Order
- Itching/Burning during urination
Did you know that most people with an STD have no symptoms at all?
- Bacterial infections can be treated by antibiotics.
- Damage caused by these diseases prior to diagnosis cannot be reversed.
- Certain bacterial infections are becoming resistant to drugs.
Common Bacterial STDs
- Bacterial Vaginosis
- Only the symptoms of viral infections can be treated.
- Many viral infections remain permanently in the body, like HIV.
- Sometimes viral infections clear up on their own.
Common Viral STDs
- Genital Herpes
- Trichomoniasis Parasite
- Public Lice, commonly known as “crabs”
- Pelvic Inflammatory Disease
Treatments may inclue:
- Oral medication
- Topical medication
- Increased susceptibility to PID, orther STDs, HIV, and ectopic pregnancy
- Many STDs can be passed from mother to child.
Can Condoms help protect against STDs?
- If they are used correctly and used 100% of the time, condoms provide some degree of risk reduction from contracting certain STDs. For STDs passed by skin to skin contact, they may provide no protection at all.
What do you think is your risk of contracting an STD? (Sexually transmitted disease)
- How would you feel if you found out you had one?
- How do you plan to protect yourself in the future?
THE HAGERSTOWN AREA PREGNANCY CLINIC CAN OFFER YOU A REFERRAL FOR STD TESTING.